Sunday 10 July 2011

USB device Not Recognized

Everything worked well for my PC last Night, however today when I started my PC, my Printer(Brother DCP-J125) was not working. I pulled out its USB Cable and reinserted it, though it might be because of some loose connection but nothing happened, then I pulled it back again and inserted it in other USB ports and got a message - USB Device Not Recognized. It happened every time I inserted the USB cable to any USB port of My Computer. It took me a while to correct the problem but finally I was able to solve my Problem and my Printer was working again. 
According to Microsoft Support Site this problem can be resolved by updating the Drivers and your Windows XP, this problem usually occurs on Computers which don't have any service Pack Installed so better get the latest Service Pack for Your Windows XP (The Latest Service Pack for XP is SP3 get it from here), still as I was already running SP3 so :

Here is what I did to resolve my Problem
1. Pull out all the USB devices from Computer when its powered off.

2. Then Start Computer goto Start --> Run --> there type devmgmt.msc. This will take you to Device Manager. There You will see Universal Serial Bus Controller, Expand it. And you will notice an Unknown Device.




3. Now Delete Every USB Root Hub including the Unknown Device.
4. Then Power off Your Computer Completely (Switch off Power from Main Plug) and Wait for about 5 - 10 Min.
5. Then Start Your Computer, You should see all the USB Device will be installed automatically.








What was the Error?
According to Microsoft if your Computer running Windows XP has a PS2/USB Device(Keyboard or Mouse) resumes from Hibernation or Standby is sometimes unable to detect other USB Devices. So to solve the problem you must follow the steps given above.

  • This Method was able to solve my Problem, in Addition to these steps you must do one more thing.
  • Goto Device Manager (Start -- > Run --> type devmgmt.msc )
  • There find Universal Serial Bus Controller, Expand it 
  • Right Click USB Root Hub goto Properties 
  • Goto Power Management Tab and uncheck the Option -
    Allow the computer to turn off this device to Save Power

    (Unchecking this option for a Laptop might Reduce Battery Backup so if you want to save battery better let it go as it is.) 
  • Do this for every USB Root Hub


If Still the problem persist, this might be a hardware fault and you must contact your Reseller for more info. As for me these solved the problem, but just for a while and I finally came to know that my Rear USB ports are no longer functional, even USB mouse was not working from those Ports so I started to use the front USB Panel which worked fine for me. Let us know If you have more problems.

1 comment:

  1. This is really a great post an informative one !Thanks for taking time to share your great experience and knowledge here with us....circuit board

    ReplyDelete